Apply for Benefits

Contact Us
Contact Us 1-800-692-7462
E-mail Us E-mail Us
Welfare Fraud TipLine

Welfare Fraud TipLine 1-800-932-0582

View hot line data here

  • 17,803 complaints received
  • 5,003 Field Investigations
  • $16,348,986 saved
  • October 1, 2013 - September 30, 2014

    Refugee Cash Assistance and Moving to Independence

    The Department of Public Welfare is dedicated to helping low-income families and individuals living in Pennsylvania move to independence through the Refugee Cash Assistance Program, which provides money for up to eight months from the date of entry into the United States for refugees who do not meet Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) eligibility requirements.

    How to Apply:

    You can apply for benefits and renew benefits by using COMPASS, the online resource for cash assistance, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), child care, health care coverage, home heating assistance (LIHEAP), school meals, SelectPlan for Women and long-term living services. You can also:



    Application for cash assistance, SNAP and Medical Assistance Benefits (English version)

    Solicitud para recibir beneficios (Version Espanola)

    If you need help completing the application form or need more information about benefits, trained County Assistance Office staff can help you.

    Are You Eligible?

    In general, Refugee Cash Assistance follows the same eligibility requirements as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.

    Frequently Asked Questions about Cash Assistance