On July 1, 2012, the Department of Public Welfare (DPW) consolidated licensing functions previously administered in several DPW program offices into a single administrative Bureau of Human Services Licensing (BHSL) within the DPW’s Office of Administration. By consolidating licensing functions, DPW seeks to increase efficiency by eliminating duplicative administrative structures and to improve its regulatory protection of vulnerable populations. The Bureau of Human Services Licensing (BHSL) is responsible for the oversight of the following regulations: Adult Training Facilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2380), Vocational Facilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2390), Personal Care Homes (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2600), Assisted Living Residences (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2800), Child Residential and Day Treatment Facilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 3800), Community Homes for Individuals with Mental Retardation (55 Pa.Code Chapter 6400), and Family Living Homes (55 Pa.Code Chapter 6500).
If you are having difficulty finding the information you need, please contact DPW.
**For anyone interested in receiving email updates related to Human Services provider services, please join our ListServ email update service.**
**WHAT'S NEW - Updates to the Website**
- *Important Announcement*: All approved 24-hour annual administrator training courses conducted between September 1, 2011 and December 31, 2011 may count for EITHER the 2011 or 2012 training year. There are many exciting training opportunities available this fall, and the Department encourages all PCH operators to take advantage of them. Note that the courses many not be counted for both 2011 and 2012, so administrators must document what training year they wish the courses to count towards. Please call the Operator Support Hotline with any questions (September 16, 2011).
- A new document titled "TB Notice to Providers" has been posted under the "Intellectual Disabilities Licensing Information" section below (May 9, 2013).
- The new 2012 Personal Care Homes Annual Report has been posted to the link titled "Personal Care Homes Annual Report" under the "Personal Care Homes Information" section below (April 5, 2013).
- The "Personal Care Home (2600) Regulatory Compliance Guide (RCG)" link under the "Regulatory Compliance Guides" section below has been updated with the new April 1, 2013 version. The "Information Added" document has been updated for this version as well. For anyone seeking copies, please see the link for who to contact. Copies are limited to one per home (April 3, 2013).
- Two new links have been added. First, the link titled "Letter to Mental Health Providers" was posted under the "Intellectual Disabilities Licensing Information" section below. Second, the new link titled "ALR Preadmission Screening Form" has been added to the "Assisted Living Residences Forms" link below under the "Assisted Living Residences Information" section (March 11, 2013).
- New Assisted Living Residence form titled "2800 Request to Admit a Resident with an Excludable Condition" has been posted to the "Assisted Living Residences Forms" link below under the "Assisted Living Residences Information" section (February 28, 2013).
- New links for Self Inspection Capacity Increase Tools added. The link titled "Procedures for Self Inspection for Increases in Capacity" has been added to the "General Information" section below. A program-specific link has been added for each program below, except for 3800 programs. See each individual program section below for that specific program's Self Inspection Capacity Increase Tool (February 22, 2013).
- New link titled "Dept. of Labor & Industry - Building Code Official Contact Information" has been added to the "Human Services Licensing Application for Licensure" link under the "General Information" section below. Also, a new link has been added to the "General Information" section below; the new link is titled "BHSL - Complaint Classifications" (February 20, 2013).
- New PCH training information has been added. Under the "Personal Care Homes Information" section below, the link titled "Free Training for PCH Administrators & Direct Care Staff" has been updated with the Spring 2013 schedule; the links "Free Training for PCH Administrators - Developing a Successful Annual Staff Training Program" and "Free Training for PCH Administrators - Untangling the Quandary of Quality Management in PCHs" have been added (January 23, 2013).
BUREAU OF HUMAN SERVICES LICENSING (BHSL) OPERATOR SUPPORT HOTLINE
Do you have a question, comment, complaint or suggestion for the Bureau of Human Services Licensing? Now there's a hotline just for you! Human Services Licensing’s Operator Support Hotline is available from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. each business day.
For assistance call 1-866-503-3926
(This hotline is for human service operators.)
Calls to the hotline may be anonymous and will not result in unannounced licensing inspections
BUREAU OF HUMAN SERVICES LICENSING (BHSL) COMPLAINT HOTLINE
Do you or someone you know receive services from a human services setting?
Do you have a complaint or a concern about how care is provided?
If so, call 1-877-401-8835