Child Abuse History Clearance Forms
The information below is related to Background/Clearance Checks for:
• Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearances (CY113)
• Pennsylvania Criminal Record Checks (SP4-164)
• Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) Criminal Background Checks
PENNSYLVANIA CHILD ABUSE HISTORY CLEARANCE INSTRUCTIONS
Effective December 31, 2014
The Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance can be submitted online. Once you enter the link below you will be directed to the Child Welfare Portal where you must create an account or log in if you already have an account. Note: you will need an email address to create an account.
Creating an account and submitting your clearance application online will give you immediate access to your results or the status of your results if your results cannot be processed immediately.
Organizations who want to set up business accounts must first register for a Business Partner User account using the “Organization Account Access” link on the Child Welfare Portal. Organization accounts will allow businesses and organizations to purchase child abuse history clearance payment codes and distribute those codes to applicants. When an applicant uses a code given to them by an organization, the organization will have access to the applicant’s child abuse history clearance results once those results are processed.
Paper submissions of the Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance application/form will still be accepted for anyone who may not have access to the internet. Submit paper applications to:
ChildLine and Abuse Registry
Department of Public Welfare
PO Box 8170
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8170
1. The instructions for how to complete the Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance form are now included on page three of the form and can be printed for easy reference when completing the form. Failure to comply with the instructions that are attached to the form will cause considerable delay in processing the results.
2. Applicants can now type their information directly onto the form or the form can be printed and the information can be hand written onto the form.
3. If the information is typed directly onto the form, the information will NOT be able to be saved on a computer unless the computer has a licensed version of the acrobat adobe software. Therefore, please be sure to print the completed form before closing the document so that the information typed on the form is not lost.
4. If you have trouble accessing the form you may need to download the latest version of Adobe Reader, which is available free on the internet.
NOTE: ALL information that has been entered directly onto the form will be lost if you close the form prior to printing the form (if your computer does not have a licensed version of the Acrobat Adobe software).
Once the form is received in the ChildLine and Abuse Registry’s Background Check Unit, the results of the Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance will be mailed to the applicant’s address that was noted on the form within 14 days from the date that the clearance is received in that office.
For questions related to the Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, please contact the ChildLine Verification Unit at 717-783-6211 or toll free at 1-877-371-5422.
PENNSYLVANIA STATE POLICE CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK INSTRUCTIONS
Applicants can also go to the Pennsylvania Access To Criminal History website and apply for their criminal record check online with the Pennsylvania State Police at: https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp
If you have questions about the Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Record Checks form (SP4 164), please call: (717) 783-9973 or toll free 1-888-783-7972.
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION (FBI) CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK INSTRUCTIONS
The Department of Public Welfare is utilizing Cogent Systems to process fingerprint-based FBI criminal background checks. The fingerprint based background check is a multiple step process. For more information and to begin the registration process, go to www.pa.cogentid.com//index_dpw.htm. For question about your FBI Clearance, please contact the FBI/Adam Walsh Unit at 717-783-6211 or 1-877-371-5422. *The Department of Education also utilizes Cogent Systems to process finger print based FBI criminal background checks for prospective employees of public and private schools. Under Act 114 of 2006, ALL prospective school employees, school contractors and student teachers are to use the Department of Education system. This includes but is not limited to: Teachers, School Administrators, Substitute Teachers, Teaching Assistants, PIAA Sports Officials, School Bus Drivers, and Student Teachers.
Applicants may register online at: www.pa.cogentid.com/index_pde.htm
For more information regarding Act 114, and background check requirements for public schools, private schools and student teachers go to the Pennsylvania Department of Education website or contact the Department of Education at RA-PDE-SchoolService@pa.Gov.
If you have questions about the FBI Cards for School Employees (FD 258), please call: (717) 783-3750.