On July 1, 2012, the Department of Public Welfare (DPW) consolidated licensing functions previously administered in several DPW program offices into a single administrative Bureau of Human Services Licensing (BHSL) within the DPW’s Office of Administration. By consolidating licensing functions, DPW seeks to increase efficiency by eliminating duplicative administrative structures and to improve its regulatory protection of vulnerable populations. The Bureau of Human Services Licensing (BHSL) is responsible for the oversight of the following regulations: Adult Training Facilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2380), Vocational Facilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2390), Personal Care Homes (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2600), Assisted Living Residences (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2800), Child Residential and Day Treatment Facilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 3800), Community Residential Rehabilitation Services for the Mentally Ill (55 Pa.Code Chapter 5310), Long-Term Structured Residences (55 Pa.Code Chapter 5320), Community Homes for Individuals with Mental Retardation (55 Pa.Code Chapter 6400), and Family Living Homes (55 Pa.Code Chapter 6500).
If you are having difficulty finding the information you need, please contact DPW.
**For anyone interested in receiving email updates related to Human Services provider services, please join our ListServ email update service.**
**WHAT'S NEW - Updates to the Website**
- *Important Announcement*: All approved 24-hour annual administrator training courses conducted between September 1, 2011 and December 31, 2011 may count for EITHER the 2011 or 2012 training year. There are many exciting training opportunities available this fall, and the Department encourages all PCH operators to take advantage of them. Note that the courses many not be counted for both 2011 and 2012, so administrators must document what training year they wish the courses to count towards. Please call the Operator Support Hotline with any questions (September 16, 2011).
- An Assisted Living Administrator Orientation will be held on November 21, 2013 at Penn State Beaver, 106 Ross Administration Building, 100 College Drive, Monaca, PA 15061. Please call Dana or Billie at (724) 773-3700 to register (November 13, 2013).
- New link titled "Intellectual Disabilities Licensing Regions" has been added to the "Intellectual Disabilities Licensing Information" section below (September 23, 2013).
- A new section has been added to this web page - see the new "Adult Protective Services (APS) Information" section below. More information will be posted as it becomes available (September 13, 2013).
- A new link titled "Licensing Reference Manual - All Programs" has been added to the "General Information" section below (September 6, 2013).
- The link titled "Older Adults Protective Services Act (OAPSA) - Information" under the "General Information" section below has been updated (August 22, 2013).
- New training sessions from Northampton Community College are now offered for PCH Administrators and staff of licensed agencies serving individuals with intellectual disabilities. The link is below under "Personal Care Homes Information", and is titled "Free Training for PCH Administrators and Direct Care Staff" (August 14, 2013).
- New training sessions from Temple are now offered for PCH Administrators. The links are below under "Personal Care Homes Information", and are titled "Free Training for PCH Administrators - Improving Resident and Staff Safety with Interpersonal Communication Techniques" and "Free Training for PCH Administrators - Abuse Prevention Program Development" (July 30, 2013).
- The "BHSL - Year 1 Report" has been added under the "General Information" section below. This report encompasses statistical information for BHSL's first year in overseeing all new regulatory chapters assigned under BHSL (July 15, 2013).
- A new link titled "Webinars" has been added under the "General Information" section below. This link contains webinars presented by BHSL for provider training (June 18, 2013).
BUREAU OF HUMAN SERVICES LICENSING (BHSL) OPERATOR SUPPORT HOTLINE
Do you have a question, comment, complaint or suggestion for the Bureau of Human Services Licensing? Now there's a hotline just for you! Human Services Licensing’s Operator Support Hotline is available from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. each business day.
For assistance call 1-866-503-3926
(This hotline is for human service operators.)
Calls to the hotline may be anonymous and will not result in unannounced licensing inspections
BUREAU OF HUMAN SERVICES LICENSING (BHSL) COMPLAINT HOTLINE
Do you or someone you know receive services from a human services setting?
Do you have a complaint or a concern about how care is provided?
If so, call 1-877-401-8835
Adult Protective Services (APS) Information: