On July 1, 2012, the Department of Public Welfare (DPW) consolidated licensing functions previously administered in several DPW program offices into a single administrative Bureau of Human Services Licensing (BHSL) within the DPW’s Office of Administration. By consolidating licensing functions, DPW seeks to increase efficiency by eliminating duplicative administrative structures and to improve its regulatory protection of vulnerable populations. The Bureau of Human Services Licensing (BHSL) is responsible for the oversight of the following regulations: Adult Training Facilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2380), Vocational Facilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2390), Personal Care Homes (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2600), Assisted Living Residences (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2800), Child Residential and Day Treatment Facilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 3800), Community Residential Rehabilitation Services for the Mentally Ill (55 Pa.Code Chapter 5310), Long-Term Structured Residences (55 Pa.Code Chapter 5320), Community Homes for Individuals with Mental Retardation (55 Pa.Code Chapter 6400), and Family Living Homes (55 Pa.Code Chapter 6500).
If you are having difficulty finding the information you need, please contact DPW.
**For anyone interested in receiving email updates related to Human Services provider services, please join our ListServ email update service.**
**WHAT'S NEW - Updates to the Website**
- *IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT*: Effective immediately, the Prevention, Intent, Circumstances, Action and Result (PICAR) method for determining if individual acts of abuse, neglect or restraint constitute regulatory violations, issued on January 4, 2013, is withdrawn. Alternatively, Bureau of Human Services Licensing (BHSL) staff will rely on the statutory definitions of these terms and related regulatory requirements contained in each chapter of licensing regulations to determine when regulatory violations have occurred. Please feel free to contact your BHSL regional director or the BHSL Provider Support Hotline, at 1-866-503-3926, with any questions (September 11, 2014).
- Announcement to all providers: Effective today, any withdrawn violations on a facility's violation report will no longer appear on the violation reports posted to the Department's web site (October 24, 2014).
- A new section has been added to the web site below. "Regulatory Questions and Answers" is now located under the "Assisted Living Residences Information" section. At the beginning of each month, all general regulatory questions for each licensing chapter under BHSL received during the prior month will be posted with responses/answers (October 1, 2014).
- The BHSL PCH 2013 Annual Report is now posted to the "Personal Care Homes Annual Report" link under the "Personal Care Homes Information" section below (September 17, 2014).
- The new Fall 2014 schedule for "Free Training for PCH Administrators & Direct Care Staff" at Northampton Community College has been posted under the "Personal Care Homes Information" section below (August 18, 2014).
- All "Regional Office" contact links below have been updated to reflect new staffing information such as Licensing Administrator names and staff changes (August 18, 2014).
- A new "Mental Health Licensing Information" section has been added below for MHL providers. New links added include: "Community Residential Rehabilitation Services for the Mentally Ill (5310) Regulations", "Requirements for Long-Term Structured Residence Licensure (5320) Regulations", "Mental Health Licensing Regional Offices" and an "OAPSA Letter to MHL Providers" (August 15, 2014).
- Three new PCH trainings have been added under the "Personal Care Homes Information" section below - "Sexual Abuse Identification, Response and Personal Care Home Obligations", "Understanding Hoarding Behaviors and Interventions for Common Medical Disorders", and "Protecting Residents by Recognizing and Reporting Financial Abuse" (August 15, 2014).
BUREAU OF HUMAN SERVICES LICENSING (BHSL) OPERATOR SUPPORT HOTLINE
Do you have a question, comment, complaint or suggestion for the Bureau of Human Services Licensing? Now there's a hotline just for you! Human Services Licensing’s Operator Support Hotline is available from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. each business day.
For assistance call 1-866-503-3926
(This hotline is for human service operators.)
Calls to the hotline may be anonymous and will not result in unannounced licensing inspections
BUREAU OF HUMAN SERVICES LICENSING (BHSL) COMPLAINT HOTLINE
Do you or someone you know receive services from a human services setting?
Do you have a complaint or a concern about how care is provided?
If so, call 1-877-401-8835
Adult Protective Services (APS) Information:
Mental Health Licensing Information: