On July 1, 2012, the Department of Public Welfare (DPW) consolidated licensing functions previously administered in several DPW program offices into a single administrative Bureau of Human Services Licensing (BHSL) within the DPW’s Office of Administration. By consolidating licensing functions, DPW seeks to increase efficiency by eliminating duplicative administrative structures and to improve its regulatory protection of vulnerable populations. The Bureau of Human Services Licensing (BHSL) is responsible for the oversight of the following regulations: Adult Training Facilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2380), Vocational Facilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2390), Personal Care Homes (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2600), Assisted Living Residences (55 Pa.Code Chapter 2800), Child Residential and Day Treatment Facilities (55 Pa.Code Chapter 3800), Community Residential Rehabilitation Services for the Mentally Ill (55 Pa.Code Chapter 5310), Long-Term Structured Residences (55 Pa.Code Chapter 5320), Community Homes for Individuals with Mental Retardation (55 Pa.Code Chapter 6400), and Family Living Homes (55 Pa.Code Chapter 6500).
If you are having difficulty finding the information you need, please contact DPW.
**For anyone interested in receiving email updates related to Human Services provider services, please join our ListServ email update service.**
**WHAT'S NEW - Updates to the Website**
- *Important Announcement*: All approved 24-hour annual administrator training courses conducted between September 1, 2011 and December 31, 2011 may count for EITHER the 2011 or 2012 training year. There are many exciting training opportunities available this fall, and the Department encourages all PCH operators to take advantage of them. Note that the courses many not be counted for both 2011 and 2012, so administrators must document what training year they wish the courses to count towards. Please call the Operator Support Hotline with any questions (September 16, 2011).
- The new Fall 2014 schedule for "Free Training for PCH Administrators & Direct Care Staff" at Northampton Community College has been posted under the "Personal Care Homes Information" section below (August 18, 2014).
- All "Regional Office" contact links below have been updated to reflect new staffing information such as Licensing Administrator names and staff changes (August 18, 2014).
- A new "Mental Health Licensing Information" section has been added below for MHL providers. New links added include: "Community Residential Rehabilitation Services for the Mentally Ill (5310) Regulations", "Requirements for Long-Term Structured Residence Licensure (5320) Regulations", "Mental Health Licensing Regional Offices" and an "OAPSA Letter to MHL Providers" (August 15, 2014).
- Three new PCH trainings have been added under the "Personal Care Homes Information" section below - "Sexual Abuse Identification, Response and Personal Care Home Obligations", "Understanding Hoarding Behaviors and Interventions for Common Medical Disorders", and "Protecting Residents by Recognizing and Reporting Financial Abuse" (August 15, 2014).
- The Assisted Living Residences Directory is now complete under the "Assisted Living Residences Information"section below. To find an assisted living residence, click on the "Assisted Living Residences Directory" link under the "Assisted Living Residences Information" section below. Select "Assisted Living" or "Assisted Living - Secure Care" under the "Service Code" drop-down box to find assisted living residences (July 9, 2014).
- A letter to intellectual disabilities licensing providers regarding the Older Adults Protective Services Act (OAPSA) has been posted to the "Intellectual Disabilities Licensing Information" section below (July 9, 2014).
- A letter to child residential and day treatment facility providers regarding the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) has been posted to the "Child Residential and Day Treatment Center Licensing Information" section below (July 8, 2014).
- Two new links have been added under the "Personal Care Homes Information" section below for PCH training. The links are titled "Free Training Provided by the Department - Falls Prevention, Assessment and Support Planning" and "Free Training Provided by the Department - Practical Ethics for PCHs" (February 18, 2014).
- The new 2014 spring training schedule has been posted to the link titled "Free Training for PCH Administrators & Direct Care Staff" under the "Personal Care Homes Information" section (February 11, 2014).
BUREAU OF HUMAN SERVICES LICENSING (BHSL) OPERATOR SUPPORT HOTLINE
Do you have a question, comment, complaint or suggestion for the Bureau of Human Services Licensing? Now there's a hotline just for you! Human Services Licensing’s Operator Support Hotline is available from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. each business day.
For assistance call 1-866-503-3926
(This hotline is for human service operators.)
Calls to the hotline may be anonymous and will not result in unannounced licensing inspections
BUREAU OF HUMAN SERVICES LICENSING (BHSL) COMPLAINT HOTLINE
Do you or someone you know receive services from a human services setting?
Do you have a complaint or a concern about how care is provided?
If so, call 1-877-401-8835
Adult Protective Services (APS) Information:
Mental Health Licensing Information: