Apply for Benefits
Welfare Fraud TipLine
View hot line data here
18,653 complaints received
3,664 Field Investigations
May 1, 2012 - April 30, 2013
Number of People Enrolled in Department Benefit Programs
* Total count of recipients enrolled in any type of welfare assistance program at any time during April 2013. A recipient is only counted once regardless of whether they are enrolled in one or multiple programs during the month.
The Department of Public Welfare oversees services that offer vital support to approximately 22.2 percent of Pennsylvania citizens. Below are links that break out some of the department's most utilized programs and show enrollment numbers for each program.
Application for Benefits - Received and Processed
The chart and table below show the total number of applications received for all types of benefits offered by the department.
* Excludes the seasonal home heating benefit (LIHEAP)
Most Common Reasons Why an Application for Benefits is Rejected
- Failure to furnish required information
- Failure to keep appointment
- GA Categorical Eligibility requirements not met
- Application submitted more than once
- Application entered in error
- Household income exceeds eligibility limits
- Client does not meet the definition of medically needy to be eligible for Medicaid
- Client voluntarily withdraws their application
- Full Time employment
- Client's gross income, before any allowable deduction, exceeds eligibility limits
- Client's net income, with all allowable deductions, exceeds eligibility limits
- The amount of Unemployment Compensation client is receiving makes them ineligible
- Part Time employment
- Client is already receiving Social Security Administration disability benefit
The Department of Public Welfare (“DPW”) does not warrant or guarantee the data provided for any purpose except its own use. Further, the data provided is only from sources available to DPW, and only purports to demonstrate the status of the data at a certain point in time. DPW is not liable or responsible for outside use of this data, or for any indirect or consequential damages which may result from the use of this data.
Topics Related to Number of People Enrolled in Department Benefit Programs